Monday, May 21, 2012

THE GATE - a story based on Matthew 7:13-14


The Gate - Matthew 7:13-14

Sally Bentley
                               

                You know when you're not quite awake and yet you are certainly not asleep and thoughts fill your mind.  Images of people and places cross the scene set there.  I was in such a state this morning and a vivid scene played out before me.  I saw myself walking down this huge highway that was packed with what must have been millions of other people walking along it.  Have you ever been to Disneyland when it's so crowded that you really have no choice as to where you were going?  This road was like that.  Everyone was just moving along in mass packed in like cattle and I'm certain that everyone, like myself wondered where we were all headed.  I also had a vague sense that something was making this walk terribly difficult. It was then that I realized that I was carrying this huge bundle of stuff that, for some reason, I don't really know what, I considered to be extremely valuable.  Everyone else was carrying their huge treasure as well.  The sad thing was that often times, someone would collapse under their load and although the rest of us felt sorry for him, we could not afford to loosen the grasp on our own bundles long enough to help the misfortunate person.  So eventually he was trampled under the feet of the throng who were pressed along, almost as if against their own wills, in the inevitable movement forward. (Amos 2:7)

                As I walked along, relieved that it was not I who fell, I noticed a fork in the road ahead.  Well, it wasn't a fork really - there was just sort of a path that diverged from the main road.  No one else seemed to notice it at all.  Several yards down the path there was some sort of unusual gate and standing beside it was a man unlike any I've ever met. 

                There wasn't anything particularly unusual about his appearance but there was something about his demeanor and his eyes that fascinated me.  As I was briefly studying him, suddenly I realized that his eyes were locked onto ME.  I saw his lips move but I couldn't quite be sure what he was saying and then somehow through the din of the crowd I heard it as plain as day.  It was only a whisper but somehow it broke through and I heard it.  He called MY name. (John 10:27)  I was drawn to him and I desperately fought to make it to the side of the highway where the path cut off before we passed it.  I barely made it there in time to see another person stumble and crushed by the crowd.  Then I turned my eyes back to the man at the gate and he was now reaching a hand out toward me as if he wanted me to come.  The nearer I came to him the more I noticed his hands.  They were healing from some horrible wounds.  As I approached, I had to ask him about them. 

                "Sir, how did you get these injuries?" 

                His voice came back, "I received them when I was building this gate for you." (Isa. 53:5)

                "For me?"  I said.  "You don't even know me."

                "I knew you and I chose you before the creation of the world." He replied.  (Eph1:4)

                "Chose me  - for what?"

                "To be my disciple.  Come follow me along this narrow path. (Matt. 11:28-30) The wide highway that you have been traveling on leads to a cliff over which everyone who travels it will fall and die.  It's a far easier road to take but it leads to death and destruction.  This gate opens onto a very narrow and treacherous path but it leads you right into the Father's loving arms. Come and we'll walk it together."

                "Who is the Father and why would he want to love me?" I asked.

                "He is the One who made all things and He has sent me here to bring you to Him.  We love you because we have chosen to do so and our reasons are beyond your understanding. (John 15:16) The question is - Will you enter through the gate?"

                I thought for a moment.  Who wouldn't want to go through it?  The path may be hard but the highway would only lead to death.  "Yes - Yes I want to come through!" I answered with joy. 

                I walked up to the gate and tried to pass through but I couldn't seem to fit.  All of the things I was holding onto made me too large to enter.  No matter how I struggled, turned and twisted I simply couldn't get through the opening with all my stuff.  I looked up in frustration at the man who smiled patiently at me. 

                "You must leave all of that behind." He said.  (Matt. 6:19-21)

                "But it's mine.  I've worked for years to acquire all of this.  How can I just leave it?" 

                "If you want to come through the gate you must lay it all down." He replied. (Mark 8:36)

                Just then I thought of a great idea.  Maybe I can fit part of it through.  I looked carefully at my treasures and decided that maybe I could do without a couple of them.  I selected a few of the least precious ones and dropped them on the ground.  First I picked one that was labeled MONEY and then I thought I'd really sacrifice and I laid down two more labeled CAR and HOUSE. (Matt. 6:24) Then I tightened my grip on everything else and tried again.  No luck.  The man looked at me wistfully and said "You've got to let go of everything."  So I looked again at my precious bundles and couldn't decide which would go next.  I even considered just walking back and getting on the main highway with everyone else but somehow I was drawn to go through the narrow gate down the small path. 

                "Here sir," I said, "This is a large parcel." and I laid down one called PRIDE.  "And how about these?"  and I let go of PLEASURE and SELF INDULGENCE.  (Mark 8:34-35)  I now only had a few precious packages left and I really couldn't believe he would want me to leave these behind.  I pressed on the gate.  I squeezed and strained but no matter what I did I couldn't fit through.  

                I looked up at this man who had called me out from the rest of the world.  I looked into his eyes - his beautiful loving eyes and I realized that nothing I had was more precious than walking through the narrow gate and down the rugged path with this man.  I suddenly wanted to run into the Father's arms more than anything I had ever desired in life.  (Phlp 3:8)

                I dropped the last two parcels that I was holding onto.  The packages labeled HUSBAND and CHILDREN dropped from my hands (Luke 14:26) but I couldn't help but ask the man if he would call them to walk down the path after me one day too.  "They will hear my voice and they must choose to follow for themselves." 

                I turned toward the gate and the man placed his hand on my shoulder to stop me.  "My hands are empty sir.  I should be able to fit through now." 

                "One thing more" He said.  "Look at the clothes you're wearing." 

                I looked down.  "I made this outfit myself!  What's wrong with it?" I asked.  "These are the rags of SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS" He replied. (Isa. 64:6) "They cannot be worn on the other side of the gate.  I have made for you a very special robe called THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF CHRIST.(Isa. 61:10)  As soon as you pass through the gate I will place it on you and so my Father can accept you into His Holy Presence."

                The thought of leaving behind these garments that I had worked so methodically to piece together frightened me and yet I knew in my heart that the robe now offered to me was beyond comparing to the meager clothes I was wearing.  It was by far the most humbling thing I have ever done but I dropped my clothes there and the kind and gentle man opened the gate before me.  Trembling with joy mixed with a little fear I passed through the gate easily.  And as I crossed over the threshold, my new loving friend placed a robe on my shoulders that was the most radiant and glorious garment I have ever seen!  I stood there beyond the gate with a heart of gratitude for being saved from certain death and for being relieved of my heavy burdens. 

                And so began the adventure down the path that will one day lead to untold riches in the Everlasting Kingdom of Light. (Isa. 35:8-10)                           

THE BEGINNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment